Below we will see a collection of photographs kindly donated by Adrian Evans, gathered from friends.All depicting the Nelson/Llancaiach station from years gone by.
1.July 1912 Location:
On the north side of Tawelfan Company on opening:
Great Western Railway Date closed to passengers:
15.June.1964 Date closed completely:
15.June.1964 Company on closing:
British Railways (Western Region)Extant County:
The station replaced LLancaich which was 15 chains to the north west. The line is still open for freight. These photographs were taken in May 1973. Since then things have changed and there is a cycle path running alongside the track. The bottom photograph was taken March 6 ,2009, Still signs of a station platform but far less open.
These photographs were taken by Nick Catford and he kindly allowed permission for their use on this website, he has taken hundreds of fantastic photographs of by gone Railway stations. See his excellent work at www.subbrit.org.uk
The pictures below are what is left of the Tram way that started above Travellors rest near Abercynon, at the top of a large incline. It went then along the curve of the mountain above the now demolished St Cynons church and onwards towards Llancaiach.
Horses hauled the loads along the track.Look at the work that was done by the men to hold back the mountain.
Tramway built around 1840
the photograph above is what is left of the track floor near to where Llancaiach colliery once stood.
This very old photograph above looks down from the old tram road to the Junction in the road leading to Abercynon between Cilfynyth and Fiddlers Elbow...It is where the coal used to be winched down. You can clearly see the old railway line that once went into Nelson from Pontypridd.
The next Photograph was taken near the Railway Pub in Nelson...it shows the remains of the base of the track that once came into the village.
Below we see a photograph from near the old Llancaich/Nelson station
Still traces of the former pens that held cattle at the station Yard (R.Amos)
Above we see the railway Crossing at Nelson 2008 (Robert Amos)
Photographed when it was a working station
Above we see a train about to pass under the Shingrig Bridge en route to Bedlinog
Nelson Station when it was next to the Dynevor Arms, in the middle of the village
The photograph below is a very special edition and contains an original train ticket for the trip from Nelson to Pontypridd( courtesy of Robert Amos)
This photograph shows the tracks that lead from the old station by Dynevor Terrace to the main Llancaiach/Nelson station.
This is a view of the station that used to be where the bus station in Nelson now stands. It was left like this for many years before it was finally filled in...this view is taken from the Cenotaph looking towards Dynevor Terrace in 1936
Below is a rare photograph of the original Llancaich station, it was closer to Nelson town centre than the Nelson and Llancaich station that replaced it. The new station, which was close to the border with Trelewis was built in a much wider open space and was a lot bigger than the original Llancaiach station
Almost the same area of the original Llancaiach station 1978 (Courtesy of Robert Amos)